“Litigation is an economically and emotionally challenging exercise. When a dispute arises in either the commercial or personal arena it is vital to ensure that the initial steps taken combine both a strategic and practical approach. “
Jeremy is a Partner and the Practice Group Leader of the Litigation & Dispute Resolution Group at Watson Goepel LLP. He has a diverse practice, focused primarily on complex commercial disputes, real property litigation, bankruptcy and insolvency work, construction litigation, corporate disputes, injunctive relief and estate matters.
Prior to moving to Vancouver Jeremy practiced for eight years in New Zealand, with a particular focus on corporate litigation, professional indemnity and liability claims, construction, and real property disputes. Jeremy has appeared at both the trial and appellate levels in New Zealand, British Columbia and Alberta, and also has experience in the areas of arbitration and mediation.
Jeremy is an avid outdoorsman and enjoys taking his young son fishing any chance he gets.
LLB, Victoria University, New Zealand, 1996
BA in Political Science, Victoria University, New Zealand, 1995
Certificate of Qualification, National Committee of Accreditation, Federation of Law Societies of Canada, 2006
British Columbia, 2006
New Zealand, 1997
Prosecuting and defending shareholder/partnerships disputes including oppression claims and derivative actions.
Claims relating to the enforceability of limitation of liability/waiver clauses.
Tuttle v. Kootenay Outfitters
Claims relating to the enforceability of guarantees.
Defence of defamation claims and pursuit of special costs awards for successful defence.
Disputes between shareholders concerning the disposition of sale proceeds.
Claims relating to collapsed real estate deals including:
- Claims for specific performance and damages.
- Release/return of Deposits.
- Issues arising out of rights of first refusal.
Acting for commercial landlords and tenants in disputes including claims:
- for recovery of rent;
- radius clause;
- rent reviews;
- distraint; and
- relief from forfeiture.
Removal of charges from title.
Prosecuting compensation claims under the Expropriation Act.
Bankruptcy and insolvency
Acting for insolvency professional in proceedings under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act, Companies Creditor Arrangement Act and related legislation.
Defending claims advanced for:
- profits derived ‘Ponzi’ schemes;
- voidable preference/transaction under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act and related legislation; and
- statutory trusts.
Securing injunctive relief to ensure continuity of transportation services facing labour and other related blockades.
Securing Mareva and other protective relief in employee dishonesty claims, fraud and other related cases.
Applications seeking to restrain the release of shares from escrow.
Claims for and against estates seeking variation of wills.
Negotiating variations to testamentary dispositions under the Wills Variation Act and the Wills, Estate and Succession Act.
Disciplinary/quasi-criminal investigations and proceedings
Investigations and prosecutions by regulatory organizations including:
- Real Estate Council of British Columbia;
- British Columbia Securities Commission/Alberta Securities Commission;
- Investment Industry Regulatory Organisation of Canada; and
- Institute of Chartered Accountants.
Publications and Presentations
- Quoted, “Legal Notes: Failed real estate closings and understanding lawyer-as-agent authority,” Daily Commercial News, September 16, 2019.
- Author, “I want out of the deal: The importance of seeking legal advice prior to closing,” Watson Goepel LLP Blog, July 24. 2019.
- Author, “It’s not really mine, it belongs to my “Trust”,” Watson Goepel LLP Blog, February 20. 2019.
- Author, “Land Owner Transparency Act White Paper, ” Watson Goepel LLP Blog, June 25, 2018.
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Director, Canadian Australian New Zealand Business Association (CANZBA).
- Member, Canadian Bar Association.
* Practicing through a Professional Law Corporation.