“I enjoy helping clients find practical solutions for their business law needs. This often involves educating foreign clients on Canadian legal issues.”
Jeff Read is Associate Counsel in the Business Law Group at Watson Goepel. His practice focuses on corporate and securities law, where he advises local, national, and international companies and securities dealers on their Canadian activities. Jeff has extensive experience acting for large BC-based public companies and private equity groups, and has an expansive understanding of M&A transactions and proxy fights.
As part of his practice, Jeff advises boards of directors on numerous matters including corporate governance and directors’ and officers’ liability.
Between 2000 and 2015, Jeff was an Adjunct Professor (Securities Regulation) at the University of British Columbia Faculty of Law.
Outside of work Jeff enjoys hiking, skiing, and travel.
LL.B., Queen’s University, 1985
B.A. magna cum laude, Queen’s University, 1982
British Columbia, 1986
- Canadian counsel to Soleus Capital Management and RA Capital Management in their equity offering for ESSA Pharma Inc. for aggregate proceeds of US$36 million.
- Counsel to the founder of Athabasca Potash Inc. in her successful proxy fight to remove the board of directors, elect a new board and oversee its subsequent sale for $341 million to BHP Billiton by way of a plan of arrangement.
- Counsel to Inspectorate and parent companies lnspicio and 3i, a London based private equity firm, on the $25-million acquisition of PRA Labs.
- Prior Counsel for CHC Helicopters in the acquisition of over 100 helicopters (since 2007), in the establishment of their repair and maintenance business, Heli-One and in their US $310 million initial public offering on the New York Stock Exchange.
- Counsel to numerous electrical power producers (including Trans Canada Power, NaiKun Wind Development, Furry Creek Power, Northland Power, Synex Energy, and Calpine Corporation), in respect of wood waste, run-of-river, wind, and gas-fired power projects.
- CHIP REIT $1.2-billion acquisition by British Columbia Investment Management Corporation.
- Acting as outside legal counsel for NaiKun Wind Development in the negotiation and structuring of a proposed 320 MW-offshore wind farm located in the waters of Hecate Strait.
- Canadian Hotel Income Properties Real Estate Investment Trust creation, initial public offering and listing on the TSX: subsequent public equity and debt offerings: defence of hostile take-over bid; acquisition of a portfolio of hotel properties: securities and corporate governance matters.
- Sun-Rype Products Ltd.: initial public offering and listing on the TSX, defence of hostile take-over bid, securities, and corporate governance matters.
- Banyan Capital Partners Limited Partnership and Banyan Capital Partners II Limited Partnership: organization, funding, investments, and dispositions.
- Corporate and securities counsel to co-operatives on their conversion to corporations.
- Represented a number of American, Asian and European investors on their investments into Canada in sectors, including computer components. consumer packaging, food products, transportation, infrastructure, oil, gas, and electricity.
- Sale of hotel management business to large US hospitality business.
Publications and Presentations
- National Editor, eSecurities.pro Newsletter (Carswell), 2008 – present.
- Contributing Editor, Corporate Governance Journal (Federated Press), 2005 – present.
- Author, Securities and Stock Exchanges, The Canadian Encyclopedic Digest, Western and Ontario Editions (Thomson Reuters), 2002 – 2018.
- Author, British Columbia Securities Act and Rules, Annotated (Carswell), 1992 – present.
- Instructor, various subjects, including private placements, venture capital, shareholders’ meetings, continuous disclosure, and securities practice at various institutions including UBC, SFU, Carswell, Insight, Thompson Reuters, and Federated Press.
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Member and Past-Chair, Canadian Bar Association, Securities Section (BC Branch)
- Member, International Bar Association
- Member, Vancouver Chapter of Association of Corporate Growth
- Life Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Past Vice-Chair, International Private Equity Committee of the American Bar Association
- Past Vice-Chair, Canada Committee of the American Bar Association
- Pro bono work, St. Andrew’s Hall, University of British Columbia
Recognized in Best Lawyers ® in Canada since 2006 in the areas of Corporate Law, Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law, Securities Law, and Venture Capital Law.
* Practicing through a Professional Law Corporation.