“Clients need clear, concise information provided in a timely manner. This is the level of service they deserve, and which I do my utmost to deliver.”
Celso is a Partner in the Business Law Group at Watson Goepel LLP. He advises foreign companies on investing and setting up businesses in Canada, business immigration issues, and commercial lending matters. A frequent speaker on Italian-Canadian business relations, and to foreign entrepreneurs and investors on doing business in Canada, Celso presents in both English and Italian. He speaks regularly in both Canada and Europe on the Comprehensive Economic Trade Agreement (CETA), including at the World Summit of Corporate Counsel in Montréal. Celso is President of the Italian Chamber of Commerce in Canada-West and the European Union Chamber of Commerce in Canada West.
Celso serves on the Executive Committee of Lawyers Associated Worldwide (LAW), a global association of over 100 independent law firms located in more than 180 major commercial centers throughout the world, allowing Watson Goepel LLP to service clients that are expanding their operations and relationships into new domestic and foreign markets.
Past President of the Liberal Party of Canada (B.C.), Celso was appointed Queen’s Counsel in 2017. He is an avid golfer and skier and enjoys reading history.
- LLB, University of British Columbia, 1981
- BA, History & Political Science, University of British Columbia, 1977
- British Columbia , 1985
- Alberta, 1982
- Negotiated a master development agreement for a ski resort
- Represented a client in a major toxic site cleanup
- Assists with the immigration process and the related acquisition of business
- Acts for clients regarding condominium development, from land assembly to sales
- Assists with commercial, inter-bank and real estate lending transactions
- Guided an employee shareholder group on the acquisition of the employer
Advises business owners on employment issues
- Manages litigation and relationships with major institutional and corporate clients
- Acts for Charities and not for profit entities
- Assists with most types of Corporate and Commercial agreements, including asset and share
- purchase, incorporations, joint ventures, partnership, distribution
- Solicitors errors and omissions defense, including representation at Law Society disciplinary proceedings
- Advises employers on employment law and human rights complaints
- Aboriginal law: impact/benefit analysis and duty to consult
- Board work: governance, legal advisor, director and chair
- Numerous presentations on the Comprehensive Economic Trade Agreement (“CETA”) in both Canada and Europe, in English & Italian
Publications and Presentations
- Presenter, “CETA,” Consular Corps (B.C.), October 2017.
- Presenter, “CETA,” Surrey Board of Trade, September 2017.
- Presenter, “CETA,” Richmond Chamber of Commerce, September 2017.
- Presenter, “Doing Business in Canada,” European Union Economic and Commercial Representatives visit to
- British Columbia, September 2017.
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Executive Committee, Lawyers Associated Worldwide
- President, Italian Chamber of Commerce (Canada-West)
- President, European Union Chamber of Commerce (Canada-West)
- Past President, Liberal Party of Canada (B.C.)
- Past President, National Federation of Canadian-Italian Business and Professional Associations Inc.
- Chair, St. Mark’s College/Corpus Christi College, UBC
- President, Possibilities Association of British Columbia
- Queen’s Counsel, 2017
- Cavaliere dell’Ordine della Stella della Solidarietà (“Knight of The Italian Republic- Star of Solidarity”), 2009
- Queen’s Golden Jubilee Medal, 2002
- Italo-Canadian of the Year, Confratellanza Italo-Canadese, Vancouver, B.C., 1993
- Canada 125 Commemorative Medal,1992