“Understanding my client’s goals and interests is the key to my practice.”
Micah is an Associate in the Litigation & Dispute Resolution Group at Watson Goepel LLP. His practice focuses on employment and contract litigation including partnership and shareholder disputes, debt recovery, and wrongful termination actions.
A UVic Law graduate, Micah served as President of the Law Students’ Society, and co-founded the Access Pro Bono Student Clinic, providing free legal advice to low-income individuals in Victoria.
- JD, University of Victoria, 2015
- B.A. (Philosophy, with High Distinction), University of Toronto, 2011
- British Columbia, 2016
Contracts Litigation and Debt Recovery
- Conducted examinations in aid of execution, commenced garnishment proceedings and took other steps in execution to completely satisfy a $150,000.00 debt and the costs of legal proceedings.
- Provided assistance and advice to companies and individuals regarding the overall validity and individual terms of their corporate contracts.
- Assisted landlord creditors recover over $500,000.00 in a successful summary judgement.
- Litigated and resolved disputes between shareholders, partners and joint venturers.
- Served as counsel for key employee awarded 22 months of notice and over $140,000.00 following successful summary trial at the British Columbia Supreme Court. (Kok v. Adera 2018 BCSC 1542).
- Drafted employment contracts for a wide range of employers based on individual workplace needs, ensuring compliance with applicable federal and provincial regulations.
- Negotiated and resolved several wrongful termination actions acting as both employer and employee counsel quickly and efficiently.
- Provided comprehensive employment opinions to employers, which advance legal opinion on whether and how an employee may be terminated.
- Forced the sale of an investment property on behalf of a 50% owner, and successfully petitioned the court for sole conduct of sale (Durrani v Lehal, 2018 BCSC 2489 (CanLII)).
- Successfully defended and resolved claims brought against contractors by general and sub-contractors and property owners.
Publications and Presentations
Panelist, “Cannabis Industry Legal Issues and Regulatory Compliance,” Cannabis Trade Show: Vancouver, July 2018.
Micah is a regular Legal Contributor to PolitiCoast, a podcast that explores what’s happening in British Columbia and across the country
- Ep 128: No criminal behaviour, that’s the standard?
- Ep 101: Rabid dog days of summer
- Ep 82: The drain the swamp model of the constitution
- Ep 66: Of dams and beers
- Ep 40: Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
- Ep 39: The Neverending Election
- Ep 13: Make ethics great again
- Ep 04: You’re Fired!
Professional and Community Affiliations
- President, British Columbia Civil Discourse Society
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Community Advisory Board, Gordon Neighborhood House
- Co-Chair, Organization Committee, Vancouver By-Election Housing Forum
- Chair, Organization Committee, West End Vancouver Mayoral Forum