“I value knowing that I contribute to a client’s business and personal life through the advice my team and I impart, and the assistance we provide, based on the trust and respect we have earned.”
Miles is a Partner and the Leader of the Business Group at Watson Goepel LLP. He and his team work with a variety of local and international corporate clients in a diverse range of industries including natural resources, real estate, technology, regulated professionals, medical, food and beverage, and manufacturing. Miles has expertise in exempt and public offerings, mergers and acquisitions, financings, lending transactions, real estate development, corporate and partnership governance, and working with trusts.
Born and raised in South Africa, Miles lived in Calgary, Alberta for a number of years and attended law school at Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario. He has made Vancouver his home since 1986. Miles is an avid squash player and long-time admirer of Elon Musk.
J.D., Queens University, 1985
BSc, University of Calgary, 1982
British Columbia , 1987
- Advised on the divestiture of a leading Canadian producer, marketer, and distributor of branded specialty food products, with a combined value of cash and equity in excess of $60M, to a large Public Company conglomerate.
- Represented Large Medical Clinic Group and Groups of Physiotherapy Clinics in Acquisitions by a Public Company.
- Registration of Exempt Market Dealer with the BC Securities Commission and advise on compliance issues.
- Advises on structuring and implementing corporate and commercial transactions, mergers and acquisitions, and contractual relationships.
- Develops creative strategies to deal with business, corporate governance, and regulatory compliance issues.
- Acts for non-institutional lenders and investors on loan transactions and preparing security documentation.
- Acts for a variety of real estate developers from land assembly through project development and financing to the stratification, marketing, and sale of properties.
- Acts for numerous privately owned health professionals, clinics, and related facilities in British Columbia.
- Acts for a variety of clients in multiple industries on matters of debt and equity financings, leasing, acquisition, and divestment of assets and businesses, contracts, and franchises.
- Advises on structuring and establishment of trusts.
Professional and Community Affiliations
* Practicing through a Professional Law Corporation.