“People want legal counsel they can rely on to resolve their dispute by settlement or other decision-making process. Rather than trying to win at all costs, I approach litigation as an exercise in cost-effective resolution that demands a creative approach. That is what I love to do.”
Tom is the former Managing Partner at Watson Geopel LLP, and is a Partner in the Litigation & Dispute Resolution Group. His practice focuses on all aspects of commercial and transportation disputes. His experience spans employment matters, construction disputes, real estate issues, corporate governance disputes, breaches of commercial agreements, strata corporation disputes, commercial environmental cases and injunctive proceedings relating to commercial disputes. His transportation law practice covers many aspects of rail, motor carrier and maritime contract issues including cargo claims and regulatory matters.
A Chartered Arbitrator since 2012, Tom has arbitrated employment cases under the Canada Labour Code and appeared as counsel in both courts and arbitrations on many railroad related cases. Tom was appointed Queen’s Counsel in 2006 and a Member of the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport since 1992.
Tom sings bass with the Espiritu mixed choir under the umbrella of the Pandora’s Vox Vocal Ensemble Society of which he is a director. He is also president of the Quinn Keast Foundation which provides scholarships for high school athletes and stages the annual ‘No Regrets’ Basketball Tournament on the North Shore each December.
- Chartered Arbitrator, 2012
- LLB, University of British Columbia, 1978
- M. Sc, Transportation Economics, University of British Columbia, 1973
- B.Comm. University of British Columbia, 1971
- British Columbia, 1979
Selected Cases Working as Counsel:
- Bedwell Harbour Hotel Ltd. v. Poets Cove Owners Association, 2012 BCSC 704
- Topouzis v. Abboud et al, 2012 BCSC 228
- Sunderji v. Verma, 2010 BCSC 1388
- Cami Automotive, Inc. et al v. Westwood Shipping Lines Inc. et al, 2009 FC 664
- H. George Lee et al v. Sylvia Yin Tze Chai et al  B.C.J. No. 1148 (BCSC)
- Canadian National Railway v. Imperial Oil Limited  B.C.J. No. 1557 (BCSC)
Selected Adjudication Decisions Rendered
- Bolton v. Gitxaala Nation, Canada Labour Code, 2010 (unreported)
- Spruce Hollow Haulage Inc. v. Kelly Gray, Canada Labour Code, 2010 (unreported)
- Cecilia John v. Saik’uz First Nation, Canada Labour Code, 2010 (unreported)
- Yamanaka v. Cantrail Coach Lines Ltd., Canada Labour Code, 2010 (unreported)
- Elwaleed Ghazali v. Central Mountain Air Ltd., Canada Labour Code 2010 (unreported)
- Singh v. DTF Transport Inc., Canada Labour Code 2010 (unreported)
Publications and Presentations
- The British Columbia Railway – A Railway Derailed with Karl Ruppenthal, U.B.C. Center for Transportation Studies, 1979 (346 pp.)
- Once a Mermaid, The Meraloma Club, 1923-1998, with Doug Sturrock, 2001 (371 pp.)
- Transport Subsidies in Canada with Trevor D. Heaver, 1974
- Policy Issues: The Canadian Merchant Marine, Logistics and Transportation Review, Vol. 11 No. 3, 1975
- Evaluation of Railroad Operation and Financing, with W.G. Waters and D.H. Uyeno, Omega, The Journal of Management Science, Vol. 10, No. 3, 1982 (see Appendix, p.27)
- Various articles on aspects of transportation and recreational subjects including The Hockey Act, winner of the Advocate fiction contest, 2001.
- Appointed Queen’s Counsel, 2006
- BV® Distinguished™ 4.4 out of 5
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Member, Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (since 1992)
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- Director, Pandora’s Vox Vocal Ensemble Society
- President and Director, Quinn Keast Foundation
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada™ 2024 edition for Corporate and Commercial Litigation and Railroad Law.
* Practicing through a Professional Law Corporation.