“When families are facing legal challenges, having an experienced advisor makes all the difference.”
Shelagh is Associate Counsel in the Family Law Group at Watson Goepel LLP. With over 30 years of experience, Shelagh offers guidance, strategic planning, and support to clients with respect to family law matters including complex, high net worth cases and those involving inter-jurisdictional issues. Her practice includes the preparation of family law agreements, including cohabitation, marriage and separation agreements. An experienced litigator, Shelagh emphasizes alternative dispute resolution methods when possible, and is certified by the Law Society of British Columbia as a family law mediator, family arbitrator, and parenting coordinator.
Shelagh has appeared as counsel at all levels of Court in British Columbia, and at the Supreme Court of Canada.
LL.B, University of Victoria
B.A., University of British Columbia
British Columbia, 1990
Publications and Presentations
- Legal content reviewer, People’s Law School
- Contributor, BC Family Practice Manual, The Continuing Education Society of BC (CLEBC)
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Member, Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (AFCC)
- Member, Canadian Bar Association subsections: Family Law (Executive), Children’s Law, Wills and Trusts, Elder Law, Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR), Appellate Advocacy, SOGIC
- Certified as a BC Family Law Mediator, Family Law Arbitrator and Parenting Coordinator
- Member, Law Societies of British Columbia and of Ontario
- Member, BC Parenting Coordination Roster Society
- Registered Trade-mark Agent, Canadian Intellectual Property Office
- Member, Trial Lawyers Association of BC
- Member, Collaborative Divorce Vancouver
- Member, International Academy of Collaborative Professionals (IACP)
- Volunteer, Access Pro Bono, Supreme Court family law clinic
* Practicing through a Professional Law Corporation.