“Disruption is the only certainty in business today. I work collaboratively with clients to develop practical, pro-active strategies to anticipate change, mitigate risk, and leverage opportunities; all so they can focus on their priorities: service, product, growth, community, and family.”
Robert is a Senior Associate in our Business Law Group. His practice focuses on corporate, commercial, and securities law, including structuring new businesses, domestic and cross-border debt and equity financings, exchange listings, mergers and acquisitions, shareholder relations, corporate governance, and regulatory compliance across numerous industry sectors.
Robert routinely advises private and public companies operating locally and internationally in natural resources, health sciences, technology, media and entertainment, food and beverage, and other sectors on a variety of commercial agreements, intellectual property, and employment matters.
A saxophonist by training, Robert enjoys learning new music and instruments, though he spends most of his free time traveling and exploring the North Shore mountains with his wife and daughters. Robert is also fluent in French.
LL.M., Securities Law, Osgoode Hall Law School at York University, 2011
LL.B., Peter A. Allard School of Law at UBC, 2004
B.Mus (Performance), High Distinction, McGill University, 2001
British Columbia, 2005
- Acts for entrepreneurs and investors in structuring assets and new enterprises.
- Acts for businesses in initial and secondary public offerings, and stock exchange listings in Canada and the US.
- Acts for private and public companies in debt and equity financings, mergers, acquisitions, spinoffs & divestments.
- Assists companies with Canadian and US securities compliance and continuous disclosure.
- Advises on confidentiality, non-competition, and employment agreements.
- Advises boards of directors and corporate officers on conflicts of interest, policy development, compensation, and governance matters.
- Assists companies with intellectual property protection and commercialization.
- Represented a non-profit umbrella organization in the 20% acquisition and restructuring of a social purpose investment fund manager with $500 million under management.
- Acted for a Canadian venture issuer in the merger-takeover of a U.S. public company and acquisition of a 20% interest in the world’s second most extensive lithium brine asset.
- Acted for a New York and California-based investment firm in the placement and management of a $7 million rolling convertible debt portfolio in small capital US public issuers.
- Advised a European national government regarding a proposed take-over bid and the nationalization of TSX mining issuer.
- Represented BC purchasers in the $7 million acquisition and restructuring of a dimensional lumber producer.
Publications and Presentations
- Guest Lecturer, Legal Ethics & Professionalism, Peter A. Allard School of Law at UBC, 2016 – 2020
- Past Instructor, Entertainment Law, UBC Entertainment Administration Program
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Director and Co-Chair, Policy Committee, North Shore Girls Soccer Club
- Past Member, BC Provincial Child Care Council