“I take a straightforward and down to earth approach with my clients. Helping real people solve their real problems is meaningful to me.”
Fiona is a lawyer in the Family Law Group at Watson Goepel LLP. Fiona works closely with clients to develop a comprehensive and tailored strategy as early on in the legal process as possible. Her practice includes all areas of family law, including marriage or cohabitation agreements, separation, divorce, property division, custody, guardianship, access, and spousal support. Fiona’s family law practice is largely focussed on out of court settlement, including Collaborative Family Law, Mediation and out of court negotiation.
With extensive experience in the area of child protection, Fiona acts as counsel for parents dealing with the Ministry of Children and Family Development, and for children in the care of MCFD.
Fiona is a certified Parenting Coordinator, and is on the B.C. Hear the Child Society’s roster of trained neutral child interviewers, providing reports that allow the views of children to be considered in mediation or court cases.
Fiona is kept busy outside of work running after her young twins.
LL.M., University of Cambridge, 2005
LL.B. (With Distinction), University of Alberta, 2001
B.A., Psychology and Mathematics, Simon Fraser University, 1997
British Columbia, 2003
British Columbia Supreme Court, 2001 – 2002
Publications and Presentations
- Presenter, “Acting as Counsel for Children,” CLEBC Child Protection Conference, April 2018
- Planning Committee and Moderator, CLEBC Access to Justice for Children Conference, May 2017
- Presenter, “Acting as Counsel for Children,” CLEBC Child Protection Conference, October 2015
- Author, Annotated Family Practice, CLEBC, 2016-2018
- Author/Editor, PLTC Practice Material, Family Law – Child Protection and Adoption 2016
- Author, Family Law Sourcebook, Child Protection Chapter, 2016 – 2018
- Author, British Columbia Family Practice Manual, Child Protection Chapter, 2016-2018
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Secretary, Children’s Law Subsection, CBA, 2016 – 2018
- Member at Large, Children’s Law Subsection, CBA, 2018/2019
- Member, Hear the Child Roster, Hear the Child Society
- Member, Collaborative Divorce Vancouver
- Member, CBA, Family Law Subsection
- Member, Association of Family and Conciliatory Courts
- Member, Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia
- Member, BC Parenting Coordination Roster Society