“As a mediator, collaborative professional, arbitrator, and parenting coordinator, my passion is to help families find tailor made solutions to their unique challenges.”
Craig is Associate Counsel in the Family Law Group at Watson Goepel LLP, and is widely recognized in British Columbia as a leading certified Parenting Coordinator and Family Law Mediator. For over 35 years, Craig has advocated for families in all areas of family law. He has a deep appreciation for the long term co-parenting responsibilities and challenges faced by separating families. His focus on alternate dispute resolution arises from years of experience with the court system, and his resulting view that litigation ought to be an option of last resort for families striving to solve their challenges.
Craig’s passions extend beyond the practice of law. He is an avid traveler, having visited more than 50 countries around the world. He runs, bikes, skis, ballroom dances, and has a keen interest in photography.
LL.B., University of Saskatchewan, 1979
British Columbia, 1986
- Craig’s practice focuses exclusively in the areas of Alternative Dispute Resolution, including Mediation, Arbitration and Parenting Coordination.
- Craig has extensive prior courtroom experience, having appear at all levels of court in British Columbia
Publications and Presentations
Craig has authored numerous papers and is a frequent presenter at the Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia (CLEBC).
- Author/Presenter, “Retroactive Child Support Going Forward,” with Jennifer Bergman, Family Law Advocates Group, 2006.
- Author/Presenter, “Parenting Coordinators,” and “High Conflict Co-Parenting,” CLEBC, 2009, 2010 and 2011.
- Author/Presenter, “Distance Arbitration: Some Thoughts on Options for Making it Work,” with Micah Goldberg, BCAMI Arbitration Training, 2017.
- Contributing Author, “Contributor to Settling Family Law Cases: Practical Techniques for Advocates and neutrals,” Thomson Reuters, 2017.
- Author/Presenter, “Parenting Coordination, the Program and the Role of Counsel,” with Leanne Harder, CLEBC, 2017.
- Author/Presenter, “Overcoming the Obstacles: Parenting and Parenting Coordination under the new Family Law Rules,” with Gagan Mann, CLEBC, 2014.
- Author/Presenter, “Kids Stuff under the FLA,” BC Parenting News, Winter issue, 2014.
- Author/Presenter, “ADR under the FLA: New Tools and the Power to Use Them,” CBABC, Courtenay B.C., April 2014.
- Author/Presenter, “Parenting Coordination, Making it Work for your Clients Under the New Family Law Act,” CLEBC, 2013.
- Author/Presenter, “Parenting Coordination, Family Law Drafting Basics,” CLEBC, 2012.
- Author/Presenter, “Ten Parenting Coordination Ideas You May Find Helpful,” CLEBC, 2012.
- Author/Presenter, “Parenting Coordination, the Program, the Precedents and the Family Law Act,” CLEBC, 2012.
- Author/Presenter, “ADR under the new FLA – Get Your Act Together,” CLEBC, 2012.
- Author/Presenter, “Collaborative Arbitration – Extending the Life of the Collaborative Process OR Undermining its Virtues,” with Megan J. McWhirter, Vancouver Collaborative Group, 2012.
- Author/Presenter, “Parenting Coordination ADR re: Family Law Act,”CLEBC, 2012.
- Author/Presenter, “Parenting Coordination,” BarTalk, 2012.
- Author/Presenter, “Med-Arb in Parenting Coordination – Oxymoron or Innovation,” ADRIC Conference, 2011 & 2012.
- Author/Presenter, “Family Law Arbitration Under the FLA & the B.C. Arbitration Act; Ready for Take-Off,” Family Law Advocates Group.
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Founding Member and former President, BC Parenting Coordinators Roster Society
- Member, Family Mediation Canada
- Member, Association of Family and Conciliation Courts
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- Board Member, ADRBC
- A former longstanding volunteer with Big Brothers and Sisters, he has served on local, national and international boards and received the founder with the Big Friends Giving Society
- Recognized in Martindale-Hubbell® since 2002
- Salvation Army Volunteer Lawyer of the Year Award, 2011
- Gold and Silver Jubilee Medals from Her Majesty the Queen, for Volunteer Service
- Recipient, Cecil Walker Award, Big Brothers of Greater Vancouver
- Recipient, The Chairman’s Commendation. Big Brothers of Greater Vancouver\